Kohlrabi Slaw with Cilantro, Jalapeño, and Lime
Don't let an unfamiliar cabbage intimidate you! Impress your guests with this delicious kohlrabi recipe that's both refreshing and eye catching! We promise your mouth won't regret this!
For the dish:
- 6 cups kohlrabi, cut into matchsticks or grated in food processor, about 3 x 4 inch bulbs
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (one small bunch)
- 1/2 of a jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- orange zest from 1 orange, and juice
- lime zest from 1 lime, and juice
For the citrus dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (juice from 1 orange)
- 1/8 cup lime juice plus 1 tablespoon (juice from 1 large lime), more to taste
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Trim and peel kohlrabi. ( I normally have to peel twice to get thru the thick skin). Cut off two ends. Cut in half from top to bottom. Thinly slice, rotate and slice again, making 1/4 inch matchsticks.
- Place in large bowl with chopped cilantro, scallions, finly chopped jalapeño ( 1/2), lime zest and orange zest.
- Whisk dressing together in a small bowl. Toss with salad. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with zest and cilantro. This tastes good the next day too.
Recipe By Sylvia Fountaine from Feasting at Home
- Part of the kohlrabi can be substituted with sliced fennel, apple, jicama, cucumber, or cabbage for part of the kohlrabi for more diversity
- 4 - 6 servings