Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
+ 4 medium beets – scrubbed, trimmed
+ ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
+ 3 tablespoons maple syrup
+ ½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
+ ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
+ ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
+ 10 ounces mixed greens
+ 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
+ ½ cup Mandarin oranges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place beets in a large piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil and wrap into a pouch.
- Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Unwrap beets and cool.
- Peel skin and cut into ½ inch cubes
- While the beets are cooking, add the walnuts to a skillet over medium-low heat. Heat until warm and then stir in the maple syrup. Cook until evenly coated, remove from heat and cool.
- Combine orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Toss the mixed greens with cooked beets and candied walnuts.
- Top with goat cheese, mandarin oranges (optional), drizzle the dressing, and serve.